Amla or the Indian Gooseberry is a fruit that is available in the winter months in India. Amla is a powerhouse of benefits. Some of the reasons why one must eat atleast one amla daily are:
It is a source of Vitamin C which boosts immunity and keeps the common cold and cough at bay.
Improves eye health
improves skin quality and hair health, too
Is an anti-aging agent
Prevents and cures diabetes
Now that one knows a few benefits of the miracle fruit, it is time to learn a really easy and quick recipe of Amla Pickle.
Preparing time- 10 minutes
Cooking time- 15 minutes
- Steam the amla with a little water for 5 minutes or till the segments separate out on their own.
- Keep the amla aside to cool while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Once cool, gently separate the segments of amla.
- In a dry kadhai, add all ingredients for the pickle spice powder and dry roast on a medium flame till the fennel seeds turn slightly brown. Keep aside in a separate vessel to cool. When it is cool, grind to get a fine powder.
- In the same kadhai, now heat the mustard oil till fumes start rising from the oil. Turn off the flame till the fumes are not rising any more.
- Now turn on the flame and add hing. When the hing stops crackling, add the curry patta leaves and the mustard seeds. When the crackling of seeds stops, add the turmeric and red chilli powder.
- Add the amla segments and sauté on medium flame for two minutes.
- Add the spice powder and stir fry for another minute. Turn off the flame and allow to cool.
This simple recipe can be stored in an air tight container for upto a week. The life of the pickle can be increased upto a month by refrigerating it.
So, go on and experiment with this recipe. It will be a great addition to your meal time.
Cheers to ‘Healthy eating ‘n’ a Healthy life!