Amla or the Indian Gooseberry is a fruit that is available in the winter months in India. Amla is a powerhouse of benefits. Some of the reasons why one must eat atleast one amla daily are:
It is a source of Vitamin C which boosts immunity and keeps the common cold and cough at bay.
Improves eye health
improves skin quality and hair health, too
Is an anti-aging agent
Prevents and cures diabetes
Now that one knows a few benefits of the miracle fruit, it is time to learn a really easy and quick recipe of Amla Pickle.
Preparing time- 10 minutes
Cooking time- 15 minutes
Amla 500 gms
fenugreek seeds 1tsp
Mustard seeds 3 tsp
fennel seeds 1 TSP
Asoefotida a pinch or two
Salt to taste
Curry pata leaves a few sprigs
Turmeric powder half tsp
Red chilli powder to taste
- Steam the amla with a little water for 5 minutes or till the segments separate out on their own.
- Keep the amla aside to cool while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Once cool, gently separate the segments of amla.
- In a dry kadhai, add all ingredients for the pickle spice powder (fenugreek, mustard and fennel seeds) and dry roast on a medium flame till the fennel seeds turn slightly brown. Keep aside in a separate vessel to cool. When it is cool, grind to get a fine powder.
- In the same kadhai, now heat the mustard oil till fumes start rising from the oil. Turn off the flame till the fumes are not rising any more.
- Now turn on the flame and add asoefotida. When the asoefotida stops crackling, add the curry patta leaves, add the turmeric and red chilli powder.
- Add the amla segments and sauté on medium flame for two minutes.
- Add the spice powder and stir fry for another minute. Turn off the flame and allow to cool.
Your yummy and healthy Amla pickle is ready to relish with hot paratha or even daal chawal or any other preparation. You will enjoy this pickle a lot, that’s a guarantee!
This simple recipe can be stored in an air tight container for upto a week. The life of the pickle can be increased upto a month by refrigerating it.
So, go on and experiment with this recipe. It will be a great addition to your meal time.
Cheers to ‘Healthy eating ‘n’ a Healthy life!