Cervical Spondylitis– A debilitating condition, characterized by pain and/or stiffness in the shoulder and neck region, spondylytis is a new age disease. For people who are prisoners of their chair, this is a common ailment. Working at a computer for long periods during the day or being confined to a desk job often leads to stiff shoulders and neck pain. Though these don’t seem to be much, the symptoms should not be ignored. Simple home remedies and exercises can be used for treatment of cervical spondylitis at home.
- While at work, follow the 50-10 rule. For every 50 minute of work done sitting, get up and move around for 10 minutes. These small breaks will give your neck and shoulder muscles much needed relief.
- Simple exercises can be done to treat the pain, too.
- Head rotation– Sit or stand in a comfortable position and slowly rotate your head clockwise and then repeat this anti-clockwise. Repeat the process for a minimum of 5 times. Gradually you may increase this to 10 rotations.
- An asana which very effectively tackles neck pain is the Urdhwa Hasta Asana
- Again relying on Yoga, the ancient Indian science, Surya namaskar is a series of yoga asanas that give complete relief from spondylitis with regular practice.
- Say goodbye to the pillow- Using a pillow can actually aggravate the stiffness in the neck as well as pain in the lower back. So a good thing would be to sleep without a pillow for a couple of days and see the result. If you can’t sleep without one, then an alternate could be to roll up a small towel and use that instead under your neck for support. This is an effective step in the treatment of spondylitis.
- Turmeric milk- Having a cup of warm turmeric milk before you end the day can ease all your aches and pains. Turmeric milk soothes the muscles and jangled nerves, helping one to have peaceful sleep.
- Hot compress- A hot compress can be used to relieve pain as it improves blood circulation to that area and alleviates symptoms of pain. You may use a hot compress as many times in a day as required to get relief.
If you have also been suffering from symptoms of cervical spondylitis and want a treatment for it without the use of pain killer medicines, do try these tips. You will surely feel a difference.
I would love to hear of your experience and also your feedback about this article, so feel free to write to me. Cheers!